March 20, 2015

Friday Feature: Kate, Nurse Anesthesia Student


My name is Kate and I'm a nurse anesthesia student. This picture is of some of my classmates and I this morning-from top left going clockwise: Wendy, Aubrey, me and Alex.

A day as an SRNA usually starts at 0530; we get in early to set up our rooms, check the anesthesia machine, draw up meds and go see the first patient in pre-op. The day ends whenever our room is finished or whenever our preceptor says we can leave; it all depends what cases are going on. Right now I'm on my neuro rotation, and today I had 3 craniotomies. It was awesome!

What I love about this "job"...well we aren't getting paid so I'll call it a role :)   I love that there are so many ways to give anesthesia and also many variations in what techniques and medications you pick based on your patients issues. It keeps things from getting boring, AND we have KimKaps to accessorize our scrubs!


Thanks Kate!
Here's some info on how you can be featured here on our blog: