May 15, 2015

Friday Feature: Rachel, Certified Surgical Technologist

 
 My name is Rachel and I'm a Certified Surgical Technologist. I work at a small community hospital in my hometown. We have 5 OR rooms, 2 endoscopy suites, and an additional OR used just for C-sections. A typical day for me starts at 6:45 am and goes until 3:15 pm. Any additional cases added after that is done by the crew on-call for the day. I scrub a variety of specialties that include ENT, Plastics, GYN, General, Ortho, C-sections, and endoscopies. At 6:45 am, I find out what cases I'm scrubbing for the day and who my staff is. I head to my OR, do a quick damp dusting of the room, and grab my case cart for the first case of the day. After opening all sterile supplies I scrub, gown and glove, and begin setting up for my case. Depending on what specialty I'm scrubbing for the day, determines how many cases I do that day. I'm also responsible for getting my instruments to CS, cleaning and turning over my OR, outdating and putting supplies away, and pulling cases and supplies for the next day. I also sterilize endoscopes. I love my job! I love that every day is different and brings it's own rewards and challenges, and I love my surgeons and co-workers. We're all a close knit group and work well together.